Use the online catalog to find books, e-books, videos, and CDs.
- Do an “Author” search in the catalog for books BY the person you’re researching.
- Do a “Subject” search for books entirely or largely ABOUT that person.
- Do a “Words or phrase” search to find other books with a chapter about (or by) the person.
Some books by military theorists:
Sun Tzu (6th century BC; the Library of Congress spells his name “Sunzi”)
- The Art of War (U 101 .S95 1988; also available as an e-book)
Please contact me if you want to order books or articles on interlibrary loan.
Thucydides (ca. 455-ca. 395 BC)
- Thucydides (PA 4452 .A2 1980, 4 volumes)
- Another translation included in The History of Herodotus; The History of the Peloponnesian War (AC 1 .G72 V.6)
Julius Caesar (100-44 BC)
- The Gallic War (PA 6239 .A1 H36 1982 and PA6156 .C38 v. 1)
- The Civil Wars (DG 266 .C42 1976 and PA6156 .C38 v. 2)
- Alexandrian War, African War, Spanish War (PA 6156 .C38 V.3)
- The Art of War (e-book)
- The Prince and Other Works (JC 143 .M340 1964)
- See the online catalog for other primary sources
Carl von Clausewitz (1780-1831)
Alfred Thayer Mahan (1840-1914)
- The Influence of Sea Power upon History, 1660-1783 (D b27 .M215 1957)
- Sea Power in Its Relations to the War of 1812 (E 354 .M213, 2 volumes)
- The Interest of America in Sea Power, Present and Future (V7 .M219)
- Mahan on Naval Warfare: Selections from the Writings of Rear Admiral Alfred T. Mahan (V17 .M223 1948)
- The Life of Nelson, The Embodiment of the Sea Power of Great Britain (Storage, DA87.1 .N4 M3)
- Admiral Farragut (E467.1 .F23 M24 1983)
- The Political Thought of Mao Tse-tung (DS 778 .M3 A538 1969)
- Quotations from Chairman Mao Tse-tung (DS 778 .M3 A31353 1967B)
You’ll find books about these strategists in the same call number areas.
Some other books in the Stacks:
- Handel. Miichael I. Masters of War: Classical Strategic Thought (3rd ed.) (U 27 .H366 2001; covers Sun Tzu, Clauusewitz, Mao tse-tung etc.)
- Earle, Edward Mead, ed. Makers of Modern Strategy: Military Thought from Machiavelli to Hitler (U 39 .E2 1971; chapters on Machiavelli, Jomini, Clausewitz, Mahan)
- Paret, Peter, ed. Makers of Modern Strategy from Machiavelli to the Nuclear Age (U 162 .M25 1986; ditto)
- Weigley, Rusell F. The American Way of War: A History of United States Military Strategy and Policy (UA 23 .W3695 1977)
- Nisbet, Robert A. The Social Philosophers: Community and Conflict in Western Thought (JA 81 .N57; chapters on “Macchiavelli and the Art of War” and Clausewitz)
- Rise, Lisle A. Power at Sea: The Age of Navalism, 1890-1918. (VA 18 .R75 2007; prologue on “The Master: Alfred Thayer Mahan”)