-->Skip to main content
Lewis Library Online Catalog
Most art books are in the Music & Art area on the upper level of Lewis Library.
Art books on specific aspects are shelved according to the Library of Congress classification system.
· N – Books covering visual arts in general (e.g., the Encyclopedia of World Art)
· NA – Architecture
· NB – Sculpture
· NC – Drawing, design (including animation, graphic novels, etc.)
· ND – Painting
· NE – Print media
· NK – Decorative arts (including ceramics)
· NX - Arts in general
A fuller breakdown is available here.
Some books will be in other areas:
· TR – Photography (on upper level, after NX)
· AM – Museums (on lower level)
Many art books are large, so check the “Oversize” section (in the same area, near rooms 305-306) for “Oversize N,” “Oversize TR” etc.
You are urged to browse the stacks, but be sure to check the online catalog as well. We also have many e-books on Art, which you won’t find on the shelf (or you may find useful books that have been checked out, in which case you can place a “Hold” on them or order copies on interlibrary loan).
Though you can search the online catalog by title or keyword (“All Fields”), usually the most efficient way to search is by subject heading. See this page for tips on how to determine subject headings. The subject heading may or may not be what you expect, for instance:
· Native American art – subject heading is “Indian art – North America”
· Ceramics – subject heading is “Pottery”
· Graphic novels – “Comic books, strips, etc.”
· Anime – “Animated films – Japan”
The DVD collection is also on the upper level. You can browse the DVD N’s for art, DVD TR for photography, etc.
Please ask at the reference desk for assistance. You can also use the Ask-a-librarian feature from the library home page, or use the mini form on this guide.